[TxMt] Serious bug with Python syntax highlighting

Rob Shearer textmate at v.cx
Tue Feb 6 18:41:34 UTC 2007

>> 've got to say that if there's one "feature" I want in 2.0 it's an
>> architecture that doesn't allow bundle bugs to hang the whole app,
>> potentially losing any unsaved work.
>
> I think the only problem is really with the language grammars, and
> I believe that indeed Allan has such a system in place for 2.0
> (though I'm not 100% certain on it).

I disagree---it's far far too easy to accidentally run some shell
script which just goes away and spins. And if you do you've got to
kill TextMate and lose all your unsaved changes. This has cost me a
number of hours of work already in the few weeks I've been using
TextMate.

At the very least TM should have an auto-saved workspace backup
system: user value versus engineering cost seems to make this a no-
brainer.

But a smarter architecture that invokes all external commands without
blocking the entire application (so that the app is still responsive,
even if the UI is blocked) strikes me as worthy of consideration.

For all the things wrong with Emacs, I've *never* lost work I was
doing in that editor. There's no reason we should settle for less
from an editor as good as TextMate. As for the backup system, I
wasn't sure whether that would be part of "core functionality", or
whether Allan might add "idle time callbacks" and a more robust app-
state-interrogation interface to the bundle system which could be
used to implement your own.

-rob