[TxMt] Saving file to hidden directory

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Sat Dec 29 08:23:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Phil Molyneux wrote:

> While the File -> Open... dialogue has a button to show hidden
> files, the File -> Save seems to have no obvious way to save a file
> to a hidden directory.
>
> I was creating an environment.plist file to save in ~/.MacOSX ---
> my immediate work around was to save the file to the Desktop and
> use Finder to move the file to .MacOSX --- I have set Finder to
> show all files using either the defaults command or TinkerTool.

It would leave your Desktop less cluttered if you simply opened that
specific folder using the Finder's "Go to Folder" command.  Then at
least just that window will be open on your Desktop.

I thought maybe I could drag the proxy of that window to the Desktop
as an alias, but... hah hah!  It isn't visible.  :)

> A search of the mailing list indicates that Cmd-Shift-G opens a sub
> dialogue box to the File -> Save dialogue that allows you to type
> the name of the directory directly but that would seem hard to
> discover. Is there a preference in Textmate that modifies the File -
> > Save dialogue to show hidden files ?

Also agreed:  that would be useful.