[TxMt] Interactive Shell for irb

mcbokassa at googlemail.com mcbokassa at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:34:02 UTC 2007

Am 22.12.2007 um 14:33 schrieb Hans-Jörg Bibiko:
>> Hi,
>>
>> here comes the VERY VERY work in progress irb bundle. (It's only a
>> clone of my my Rdaemon, but one should understand the workflow)
>> If someone is interested, give me a hint.

Very/Merry-Big Congrats for this Hans-Jörg Bibiko,

a couple of month ago a thread about "command-completion" showed up
where you and Thomas Allyot were pretty active. It's aim was to end
up with a sort of universal-protocol for command-completion inside
TextMate. At that time i tried to use the command-completion provided
by the iPython-shell and make this usable inside TM. The iPython-
shell belongs to THE tools for interactive work with Python and i
guess similar can be said about irb-shell for Ruby. I have not
published my 'framework' which was based on 'expect' at first and
later on remote-object-lib and a tiny daemon-like extension for the
shell. Though it works for me i found out that certain limitations
will remain, as long as TM doesn't provide a sort of interface/
protocol for smart enhancements like these.
Having this said, i truly welcome the tight integration of the irb-
shell that you've presented here. I want to clearly point out that if
this will remain the only scripting-language-integration, then maybe
TM-Users who are not that much interested in the Ruby-Dialect but
prefer Python, Perl, Lua ... - u name it - might be rethink their
preferred editor.

just my 20c, merry christmas, andreas