[TxMt] Leopard borks Multimarkdown? -> an answer

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Thu Dec 20 21:38:36 UTC 2007

On 20 Dec 2007, at 22:27, John Laudun wrote:

> [...]
> Any corrections to my analysis are welcome and will be regarded as
> contributing to my education.

I believe the problem is that ~ is normally not expanded inside quoted
strings, e.g. echo "~" will output a literal ~. The solution is to
instead use $HOME.

Now, the line you quoted had ~ as the fallback value for an unset
variable inside a quoted string. I don’t know which rules to follow
here, but I guess bash in Tiger expanded the ~ and on Leopard it does
not.

Simple test: echo "${FOO:-~}" # not expanded on Leopard, probably was
on Tiger

The workaround is (again) to use $HOME instead of ~.

Let me repeat my other line though about the bundle really should be
using $TM_SUPPORT_PATH instead of relying on where it was installed.