[TxMt] citation completion can't find bibfile

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:57:47 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Kieran Healy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> TextMate's LaTeX bundle can't find my bib files when using the
> citation completion commands. It returns the error, "Can't find any
> files named 'bibname'", where bibname is the name of my bib file.
> The bib files are in a local directory, ~/Documents/bibs. There is
> a symbolic link to this directory in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib.
> Doing kpsewhich -show-path=bib returns
>
>> /Users/kjhealy/Documents/bibs:.:/Users/kjhealy/Library/texmf/
>> bibtex/bib//:!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/bibtex/bib//:!!/usr/
>> local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/bibtex/bib//:!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/
>> bibtex/bib//:!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/bibtex/bib//:!!/usr/
>> local/gwTeX/texmf/bibtex/bib//:/Users/kjhealy/Library/texmf/
>> bibtex///:!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/bibtex///:!!/usr/local/
>> gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/bibtex///:!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/
>> bibtex///:!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/bibtex///:!!/usr/local/
>> gwTeX/texmf/bibtex///

Is this what is also returned if your type in TM: kpsewhich -show-
path=bib
followed by pressing ctrl-R?

When we run kpsewhich in that script, we do not load any of the shell
files like .bash_profile and friends. So if TM_LATEX_BIB is set
there, we don't typically see it, and hence neither will our call of
kpsewhich.

So what you would want to do is set TM_LATEX_BIB in TextMate's
preferences as well (TextMate -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Shell
Variables.

Make sure that the value you set there is exactly /Users/kjhealy/
Documents/bibs, without a trailing newline.

That should hopefully do it.

> TM_LATEX_BIB is set to /Users/kjhealy/Documents/bibs. Latex
> documents will compile happily (using latexmk.pl) within TextMate,
> including their bibliographies. It's just the citation completion
> within documents that isn't working. My Latex bundle and Support
> folder are at revision 8696. I'm running Leopard (10.5.1) and
> TextMate 1.5.7 (1436).
>
> Any hints on why this isn't working as it should?
>
> Kieran

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College