[TxMt] R daemon running 'inside' of TM + QUESTION on ram drive

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Dec 20 15:42:17 UTC 2007

On 20 Dec 2007, at 15:10, Jon Clayden wrote:
> Thanks for the update. You're improving the daemon quite a lot faster
> than I can try things out, but I've found a few issues:
>
> - You seem to be using ⌘⎋ for autocompletion, but that conflicts
> with Front Row
OK. key bindings is the last issue

> - Trying to access help by typing '?print' or 'help("print")', for
> example, blocks TM waiting for a (very CPU-intensive) perl process
> that appears to run indefinitely - I know I should be using ⌃H but
> it
> would be good if 'help' at least failed cleanly
Is already fixed. As default ?topic shows the HTML page in the
default browser, but you also can change this to man pages (which
will be cleaned of course)

> - browser() doesn't seem to work properly, so debug(function) is
> unusable
I already changed the entire process handling. Thus browser(), debug
() work but I will fine-tune it a bit because now the prompt will be
like:

 > myf <- function(x) {for(i in 1:10){print(i);a <- i*2;browser()}}
 > myf()
[1] 1
Called from: myf()
Browse[1]> |

'|' = caret

If you want to enter something you have to press ENTER first then you
can continue typing debug commands.
But I believe I will get rid of it ;)

> With regard to the RAM drive, my feeling is that it's best not to
> block out a chunk of memory like that, particularly since older
> systems on which autocomplete will be slower are also likely to be the
> ones that can least spare the RAM. Personally, I find it quick enough
> as it is.
Well, I believe I will manage this by using customisable start
options. By doing so the user can choose whether Rdaemon should run
on a ram drive or not, including the chance to set the ram size.

Please be a bit patient, but it is really amazing to see how fast
Rdaemon is running on a ram drive. It makes really really fun and
together with TM's functionality and flexibility it's almost
unbeatable ;)

--Hans