[TxMt] Matlab bundle

Don Kalar donkalar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 23:37:37 UTC 2007

Matlab is now Java-based, but provides terminal access as well.
Personally I almost exclusively use the terminal and textmate, both
out of habit (the early Java versions were both slow and buggy, though
it appears the devs at Mathworks have fixed a lot of that with recent
releases) and because a lot of my work requires timing precision that
excludes a JVM.

I'm still fairly naive to the details of your approach, but matlab
provides an 'eval' function that executes a string passed as code.
Could one simply pipe the code to run from textmate into an eval call,
followed by a `touch /tmp/file_indicating_script_is_finished`? You'd
need to wrap it in a try-catch most likely to ensure that the touch
command occurs even if the executed string fails.

I don't think Mathworks provides demos, but Octave may be compatible
enough to be a drop in replacement for these purposes. Ideally I guess
the Matlab bundle should support Octave as well.

cheers,
-d