[TxMt] Latex not found

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Thu Dec 13 09:30:28 UTC 2007

On 13 Dec 2007, at 09:30, Ben Wooliscroft wrote:

> [...]
> When I type "which pdflatex" into terminal it also returns nothing,
> but I
> can go to /usr/texbin and see pdflatex.

So you want to add ‘/usr/texbin’ to the PATH variable.

> [...] It appears that the files are there [...] but somehow hidden
> from the system, but not from TexShop?

Programs (shell commands) are found by looking in the folders
specified as a :-separated list in the PATH environment variable.

TexShop likely has /usr/texbin (and probably a few other locations) as
a hardcoded place to look for pdflatex, so that it works even w/o
users setting up their PATH.