[TxMt] Re: Anyway to Trick Textmate to Print Double spaced?

Laudun John jlaudun at mac.com
Wed Aug 29 19:06:41 UTC 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 7:00 AM, textmate-request at lists.macromates.com
wrote:

> I use textmate a lot to write in markdown.  However, the documents
> I produce need to be printed out and proofread often.  Is there any
> way to get textmate to print out documents double spaced?  If not,
> I preview the documents in firefox on OS X.  Is there any way to
> get firefox to print double spaced?

In addition to tweaking/hacking the built-in print.css file, you
should also consider installing Fletcher Penney's MultiMarkdown set-
up. It comes in two parts: (1) a TextMade bundle and (2) a
MultiMarkdown folder you place in ~/Library/Application Support.

Why? Because Multi-Markdown actually lets you include meta-data at
the top of a document. One item you can include looks like this:

CSS:	http://path.to.styles/sheet.css

You can then "style" a particular document any number of ways. I have
not found a way for this to work fully using TextMate's built-in
Preview browser, however. (HELP coding gurus!) Fonts work. As do line
spacing, which would get you what you want, but not margins and page
numbering.

Of course, to be fair, I haven't found a browser yet that respects
page numbering as specified in CSS when I have outputted using
MultiMarkdown. (If I am doing something wrong not to get this, please
someone feel free to set me straight.)

So far as I can tell, truly print-ready formatting is only available
through LaTeX or through using something like Prince. (Or by being
XSLT competent.) I really can't work up the desire to immerse myself
in LaTeX when Markdown works so well for me. Prince is too expensive.
And I am definitely incompetent when it comes to XML/XSL/great googly
moogly.

Given my ignorance, setting up MultiMarkdown can't be that hard.

Now, where's a piece of wood so I can knock on it.

john