[TxMt] creating new project files in restricted directories

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Aug 28 18:03:25 UTC 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 5:18 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> [...] When I go to 'create a file' in the project drawer and choose
> a location within /opt/ to create it, clicking 'ok' fails silently
> – no error message or request to authorize [...]

The problem is that file creation is handled 100% by a shell command,
and TM itself has very little knowledge about what the script will
actually do. This was done in the name of flexibility, e.g. the file
creation could also create a header, use whatever preprocessor it
wanted for the template, setup stuff, etc. -- but it has the downside
that each template basically has to re-invent all what one could want
to do when creating files (like asking for authorization when the
folder is not writable by current user, etc.).

The current template system is planned to be replaced by a better
abstraction, and I will keep the authorization aspect in mind.