[TxMt] [POLL] Infinite UNDOs / Transparent History management?

Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs labs at ixopusada.com
Thu Aug 23 09:31:08 UTC 2007

On 15-aug-2007, at 22:38, Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) wrote:

> Ahoy me TextMateys,
> 	I just had a kindof a neat idea.
>
> TextMateHistoryManagement
> [...]
> What I'm most interested in is workflow.
> I'd like us all to come up with the best and most genericly usable
> workflow for everyone. Maybe some advanced stuff for the nerds, but
> I want this as mostly a noob feature and for people who don't want
> to have to care about version control or whatever.

I really would like this a lot!

A suggestion for the workflow: Of course you should have the
possibility to revert to a pervious state in one simple step. (I like
the idea of annotating such a previous state with a rev number or
maybe with some other useful name). If you apply this revert, I would
like when it would append it to the history, not roll back the
history to that point.
I.e. Photoshop gets it wrong, to my opinion. When you do A, B, C, D,
E. Then you want to roll back to C and save, Photoshop makes the
history A, B, C so you lost the possibility to go back to D or E. My
preference would be a history that would hold A, B, C, D, E, C.
You will get a long history of reverts if you want to test between
two versions: A, B, C, D, E, C, E, C, E, C, E. But this would be way
better than 'forgetting the future'.

Also there should be a way for pro-users to see the diffs and make
their own combination of a previous version AND apply the latest
changes.

If you could implement this without much overhead in cpu or harddisk
resources, please do ;-)

Best,
dirk

Dirk van Oosterbosch