[TxMt] [POLL] Infinite UNDOs / Transparent History management?

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Thu Aug 16 08:05:10 UTC 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 3:50 AM, Alexey Blinov wrote:

> Hm... whats wrong with setup personal SVN server?
> Why Editor should aware of file backup?
>
> Anyway - if it will be implemented it must be "disableable".
>
> But I vote for making UnDo action more agregate... Not char-by-char -
> maybe word-by-word or similar... Sometimes to undo semi-long changes i
> have to press +Z for long time

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for SCM.
I use Subversion or Git on every single project I work on. Absolutely.

However, I find I only ever commit solid changes that I can write a
good commit message for, like…
	[FIXED] No longer eats small children

That's really how you're supposed to use SCM, especially with a shared
project with more than a single developer.

What I'm talking about with this feature is handling all the in
between steps that aren't good enough to commit, but nothing as tiny
as a few characters.

And also getting SCM used by people on single-developer projects and
individual random files.

But, yes. This system would have to be optional.

to really do this right it would have to be a part of TextMate itself
instead of just a textmate bundle. And since I have no clue how to
program textmate plugins and don't have the source code for textmate
handy, I'm going to have to settle for making this as a textmate
bundle and overwriting command-s or something.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — bundleForge