[TxMt] [POLL] Infinite UNDOs / Transparent History management?

Steven.Klass at smsc.com Steven.Klass at smsc.com
Wed Aug 15 20:49:43 UTC 2007

Hey all,

Really good idea.  Can you make the UI so if we use an SCM the the rev
number is associated with that submission?  i.e

[10:25 8/10/07] AutoSaved
[10:27 8/10/07] Saved   - Commited Rev #12654
[11:33 8/14/07] Saved
[11:34 8/14/07] AutoSaved
[11:35 8/14/07] Saved - Commited Rev #12672

And alternatively we can wipe the history to a value ( like 500 saves or
20 SCM commits/submits )  Are we planning to take advantage of time
machine on this??

---

Steven M. Klass

Strategic Manager, Design Automation - Analog Mixed Signal

SMSC
3930 East Ray Road, Suite 200
Phoenix, Arizona 85044
(480) 704-7046 (Desk)
(480) 225-1112 (Mobile)
steven.klass at smsc.com

"Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient)" <oblivious at subtlegradient.com>
Sent by: textmate-bounces at lists.macromates.com
08/15/07 01:39 PM
Please respond to
TextMate users <textmate at lists.macromates.com>

TextMate users <textmate at lists.macromates.com>
cc

Subject
[TxMt] [POLL] Infinite UNDOs / Transparent History management?

Ahoy me TextMateys,
I just had a kindof a neat idea.

TextMateHistoryManagement

Currently, when you do a thousand changes in textmate and then close your
document, all your changes are totally lost :(

What if every time you saved your document, I caught that action, backed
up your original version and the new one and then archived it away in a
magical forrest for safekeeping. Then when you open that document up again
you have the option to undo every previous save you've ever made to the
document? And you can even see how many changes were made every time you
saved with a timestamp and a full diff and all kinds of crazy stuff?

I know tons of people use some kind of SCM like subversion or mercurial or
something, but you normally only commit working changes and projects that
you're working on. Instead, this TextMateHistoryManagement  would keep
track of every single change you make to every single document you ever
save, good changes or bad ones, who cares, just everything.

Personally, I think this would be stinking awesome to the power of
infinity -1 squared! (aka, it'd be nifty)

So, as far as UI goes…

I want a new history to be saved every time I save the document.
I want to have a nice GUI palette like photoshop to see a list of changes.
That list shows the filename, hide-able full file path, timestamp and the
number of lines added, removed or changed in that version.
There should be a hide-able diff drawer or area with a tabbed safari-esque
view with tabs for each diff available. Diff that version to it's parent,
the selected items to eachother, or the selected item with your open
version.

There are some obvious technical hurdles to leap, but it's all totally
doable. The purpose of this poll is to see if anyone would be interested
in this from a fronend user interface level. I already know how I'm likely
going to actually build this thing, and we can talk more about that later.

What I'm most interested in is workflow.
I'd like us all to come up with the best and most genericly usable
workflow for everyone. Maybe some advanced stuff for the nerds, but I want
this as mostly a noob feature and for people who don't want to have to
care about version control or whatever.

For example, with the implementation that I just suggested, you could do
this…

You're working on a version of some random webpage, then someone emails
you a changed version. You could just replace your current file with that
one and open it up and check your history palette to see the changes.
(assuming you had opened and saved the original file in textmate at some
point)

You'd never had to install or configure or set up anything. It should all
just work™

Thoughts?

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — bundleForge

For new threads USE THIS: textmate at lists.macromates.com
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)