[TxMt] [POLL] Infinite UNDOs / Transparent History management?

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Wed Aug 15 20:38:24 UTC 2007

Ahoy me TextMateys,
	I just had a kindof a neat idea.

TextMateHistoryManagement

Currently, when you do a thousand changes in textmate and then close
your document, all your changes are totally lost :(

What if every time you saved your document, I caught that action,
backed up your original version and the new one and then archived it
away in a magical forrest for safekeeping. Then when you open that
document up again you have the option to undo every previous save
you've ever made to the document? And you can even see how many
changes were made every time you saved with a timestamp and a full
diff and all kinds of crazy stuff?

I know tons of people use some kind of SCM like subversion or
mercurial or something, but you normally only commit working changes
and projects that you're working on. Instead, this
TextMateHistoryManagement  would keep track of every single change you
make to every single document you ever save, good changes or bad ones,
who cares, just everything.

Personally, I think this would be stinking awesome to the power of
infinity -1 squared! (aka, it'd be nifty)

So, as far as UI goes…

I want a new history to be saved every time I save the document.
I want to have a nice GUI palette like photoshop to see a list of
changes.
	That list shows the filename, hide-able full file path, timestamp and
the number of lines added, removed or changed in that version.
There should be a hide-able diff drawer or area with a tabbed safari-
esque view with tabs for each diff available. Diff that version to
it's parent, the selected items to eachother, or the selected item
with your open version.

There are some obvious technical hurdles to leap, but it's all totally
doable. The purpose of this poll is to see if anyone would be
interested in this from a fronend user interface level. I already know
how I'm likely going to actually build this thing, and we can talk
more about that later.

What I'm most interested in is workflow.
I'd like us all to come up with the best and most genericly usable
workflow for everyone. Maybe some advanced stuff for the nerds, but I
want this as mostly a noob feature and for people who don't want to
have to care about version control or whatever.

For example, with the implementation that I just suggested, you could
do this…

You're working on a version of some random webpage, then someone
emails you a changed version. You could just replace your current file
with that one and open it up and check your history palette to see the
changes. (assuming you had opened and saved the original file in
textmate at some point)

You'd never had to install or configure or set up anything. It should
all just work™

Thoughts?

	thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — bundleForge