[TxMt] LaTeX-Bundle: handle umlaute and special characters

Matthias Conrad conrad at math.uni-luebeck.de
Wed Aug 15 09:16:47 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am new with TM (and quite new with Mac anyway) and I like it a lot!
I used WinEdt for LaTeX and Matlab. It has a very nice feature: If
you are typing an umlaut like ä, ü, é, etc. it writes in TeX-code
\"{a},\"{u},\'{e} etc. to the tex-file, while the umlaut is still
seen in the editor. The advantage of this is obvious: You don't have
to care about the encoding, you can share the file easily and the
spellcheck works still fine. This feature could be interesting for
html as well.

Moreover, since one like to see greek letters like "α" (UTF8: CE B1)
instead of \alpha an automatic replacement in the editor (while still
writing \alpha to the tex-file) would be very nice, too!

I didn't found any discussion about this topic in this forum. Is this
of interest for you? Is there a solution already? I would be very
pleased about this feature.

Best regards

Matthias