[TxMt] Re: Python bundle syntax highlighting bug

Alex Ross alex.j.ross at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 01:09:10 UTC 2007

> To be honest, I don't really like this idea too much (in lieu of
> having to use re.*(r" ... ") in order to get the regex highlight,
> let's say).
>
> While adding a (?#) is "harmless" in terms of the parsing of the
> actual code, changing your code to fit your text editor just
> doesn't "feel" right. More tangibly, I think it's probably "the
> wrong thing to do" if you're working on a project w/ other people
> (especially if they're not fellow TextMate users). The code won't
> break, but I could imagine that the extra line noise could tick
> people off and add some bit-rot to your version control ...

I agree that prefixing all re's is not ideal.

So, we have five options:

1. Match all raw strings unambiguously as regular expressions.  We
will sometimes have false-positives.

2. Match raw strings that are arguments to methods from the re
module.  We will sometimes not match raw strings that are regular
expressions, but can be pretty well guaranteed to never have a false-
positive.

3. Require some prefix to a raw string to "turn on" regular
expression matching.  This has an extremely high probability of
removing false-positives and false-negatives, but at the cost of
additional CRUFT.

4. A combination of 2. and 3.  Match raw strings that are arguments
to re.compile and raw strings prefixed with (?#) as regular
expressions, but no others.

5. Don't match re's at all.

It would seem there is no perfect option.  I propose that we put it
to a vote, and perhaps appeal to our BDFL Allan.

–Alex