[TxMt] Tab stops work strangely with nested snippets?

Bob Ueland cocoabob at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:42:03 UTC 2007

I want to produce
[origin [pt x]];
using a snippet called msg (short for message) that looks like this
[${1:Receiver} ${2:message}]

When I write msg and hit tab I am presented with
[Receiver message]
where Receiver is highlighted. I write origin and hit tab. Now I get
[origin message]
and message is highlighted.

I write msg again and hit tab.

To my surprise I get
[origin msg]
with tha caret after the last bracket.

So it seems that TM is giving priority to the outer snippet??? But I think
that two other alternatives might be better

Alternative 1: Forget all tab stops for the first snippet when an inner
snippet is activated.

Another alternative is

Alternative 2: When hitting tab give priority to the inner snippet first and
when it is finished then give focus to the outer snippet and let it do its
thing.

If I am wrong in my thinking tell me why. If I am right maybe it is some
programming difficulty with nested snippets that prevents the desired
behavior.

Thanks Bob