[TxMt] Using gmail and not seeing own messages

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:48:22 UTC 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Brian Landau wrote:

> This is really only an issue for Gmail users who access it via
> Mail.app or some other email desktop client. If you're using the Gmail
> supplied web interface then everything is done in "conversations", and
> then it makes sense for them to automatically not show you your
> response.

I suppose what you mean is that in conversation mode it shows you the
message you sent out, and so has no need to show you the message you
would receive, otherwise I can hardly envision a conversation mode
where your part of the conversation is not shown. This I could almost
buy, though I still think it is being too smart for its own good
(rather, for my own good). But suppose I just want to send myself a
reminder email. It will receive it and show it in its web interface
in the inbox there, but it will never send it through POP. It
effectively doesn't allow me to send emails to myself. Is there
really a good technical reason for that?

> I highly recommend not using desktop email clients with Gmail. Instead
> you might want to try Mailplane ( http://mailplaneapp.com/ ) which
> offers most (not all) of the features you would want out of a desktop
> email client (like drag and drop, and notifications) but uses the
> Gmail web interface.

I might consider it, though the reason I don't use the web interface
of gmail is that I don't like the web interface of gmail, so this
won't help me much. In addition to that, I actually have 2-3
different email accounts, and Mail.app allows me to look at all of
them at once (and no I am not about to consolidate everything to gmail).

> - Brian

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College