Distributed model for bundles (was: [TxMt] Bundle and language help)

Alexander Ross alex.j.ross at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:27:52 UTC 2007

I think I'd vote against a full-blown bundle administration feature
for textmate.  The included bundles are enough for probably 80% of
people, they are updated regularly with Textmate's
major/minor/cutting-edge updates.

But it's clear that SOMETHING more than the current ad-hoc system for
third party bundles is needed.

Perhaps TM could use the 'txmt' url scheme to install bundles?  Then,
we could have bundles.textmate.com as a cpan/python
cheeseshop/rubygems web page with links that automatically install
bundles?  Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement a tm-command
that could check versions on the locally installed bundles that could
pull from this web page.  This web page wouldn't even necessarily be
required to host the bundles.  Perhaps just official bundles would be
physically hosted on this domain.  But third-parties could at least
create an entry with a "txmt" link to their bundle.  Or maybe if the
domain could host bundles, we could put a "Publish Bundle" button in
the Bundle Editor, that would pop the bundle online.

I've been looking at mercurial and it's nice!  I have two computers,
and switch back and forth between them from day to day, all while
editing two checkouts of the same svn repository.  what a pain in the
butt when I have to try and commit and I bump into conflicts.  The
documentation is really good, which is important!

I don't think most of us will have too much trouble picking up
mercurial or git.  However, new users (the same ones who struggle with
svn) will likely have problems.  I can't see how these problems would
be anymore severe than learning svn.

Glad we're talking about all of this,
–Alex