Distributed model for bundles (was: [TxMt] Bundle and language help)

Sebastian Gräßl sebastian.graessl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:10:01 UTC 2007

I think it is not a good idea to switch to a distributed model for
the Bundles.
There are just 36 Bundles out of 152 which are really official and
get shipped with TM, the others are optional.
The way to go is not to switch the source control system. We should
think about the distributing process.
I think there should be no source control information in the Bundles
the user installs.
I think we should let decide each maintainer what he wants to use and
just give a solution to make the bundle public.
A small web app would do the trick.

There could be two options for a Bundle maintainer:
1) i have no source control... i upload ZIP's
2) i have svn (or what ever)... please checkout/export my source when
i ping you with a special token and zip it for me. (the ping could be
done by a simply hook or manualy)

The client side should be no problem because i think most ordinary
users use the GetBunlde and to switch the installing and updating
process will be no problem. The version control will be don be the
web app.
Also it should be possible to give the Bundle a status like "beta",
"use at your own risk"...

Basti