Distributed model for bundles (was: [TxMt] Bundle and language help)

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Mon Aug 6 17:40:35 UTC 2007

On Aug 6, 2007, at 12:11 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 6. Aug 2007, at 17:10, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
>
>> Without wishing to turn this into a which scm is best discussion,
>> git isn't the easiest system for non-technical users to learn - it
>> is aimed at power users. You may end up with a situation where
>> using the version control is harder then creating the bundle. I've
>> not used mercurial much but I know thats meant to be simpler than
>> git, I have used bzr which i've found dead simple and quite like
>> subversion, and it branches happily from subversion. I'm sure
>> theres other possibilities.
>
> I was careful not to mention any system in particular :)
>
> Git from a usability POV is indeed frustratingly (and
> unnecessarily) complex.

I have been using darcs for a while, and when it works it is quite
cool. It can be used concurrent with svn (eg use both darcs and svn
on the same tree) and is rather easy (almost intuitive) to use.

But it has two rather big drawbacks:

1. It is written in Haskell, and getting Haskell to run on OS X is
slightly trying.
2. If you ever browse it's directory (_darcs, so not hidden) with the
Finder, it chokes badly on any .xxx files the Finder may leave behind.

Gerd