[TxMt] [XCode Bundle] BUILD_FOLDER environmental variable

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Aug 4 02:38:54 UTC 2007

On 31. Jul 2007, at 16:03, Ryan Wilcox wrote:

> [...]
>> In your case, you have the build dir in the .xconfig file? Ideally we
>> would extend our code to also look there.
> Yes, my build dir is stored in the .xcconfig. Parsing those is no
> easy matter: you can have environmental variables in there,
> #include other .xcconfigs...
>
> The annoying thing is that the path is in the project's executable
> setting: writing the following AppleScript shows the proper path
>
> tell application "Xcode"
> 	tell project 1
> 		set a to active executable
> 		a's path
> 	end tell
> end tell
>
> BUT the executable I don't think changes when configurations are
> switched (right?)

The executable shouldn’t, but the full path I believe does. At least
I have the configuration name as part of the build dir.

> OTOH, would that make a good fall back when we can't find the
> executable even in $PROJECT_DIR/build ?

Probably not ideal, since it would start up Xcode (if not already
running), and would require Xcode to have the current project loaded.
Personally I do not have Xcode running most of the time.

I am not really sure what the best solution here is… I guess
eventually we’ll have to bite the bullet and write a full parser for
the Xcode related files (including .xcconfig) based on reverse-
engineering, I think Apple has sort of learned that developers get
really upset each time they change the Xcode format, and have made a
commitment to try not to do that in the future, so that work
hopefully will only have to be done once.