[TxMt] Compiling Latex with TextMate ???

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Thu Aug 2 16:33:32 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Flo <monkey2q at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks four your reply.
>
> > If you are using the standard off the shelf TextMate you will want
> > to set the environment variable TM_LATEX_COMPILER=latexmk
> >
> My setting currently is TM_LATEX_COMPILER=latexmk.pl, this is the
> same, isn't it?

Yes, that should work.

> If you are using the new branch in the subversion repository then
> > you can just go to the preferences panel and check the latexmk.pl box.
> I don't actually know how to get the branch of a subversion
> repository - is it necessary to stay updated? In case how do I get it?

It is only necessary if you want to keep up with the bleeding edge of bundle
development.  There are also bundles in the subversion repository that are
not in the delivered version of TextMate.  Many bundles are under active
development and get improvements all the time.  Latex is certainly one of
them.

Anyway, files are properly compiled only more complex issues like
> glossaries etc don't work.
> > It is smart enough to run bibtex and makeindex and latex as many
> > times as necessary to get your document into shape.
> -- this doesn't work for some reason..
> (I have to admit I never properly understood the syntax i.e. of
> makeindex ... )

I have not used makeindex to build a glossary, only and index, so maybe
glossary building is not something latexmk.pl understands.

You can use the script you wrote before to make your own custom textmate
command.  You can go to the bundle editor and make yourself a new command
and just paste in the contents of the script.  You can replace $1 with
$TM_FILEPATH and you will want to add a line to cd to $TM_DIRECTORY so your
files end up in the right place.

I'm going to give some more thought to how we can allow users to provide
their own custom latex compile scripts without creating their own command in
TextMate.

Brad

Thanks very much beforehand
> Flo