[TxMt] Re: What I _really_ want in TM2

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Thu Aug 2 11:14:01 UTC 2007

guerom00 wrote:
> I've said it before but what I really want for TM2 is a comprehensive
> and simple system to update the bundles…
> Right now, not having updating my bundles for a while, my TM is
> kinda broken (lots of bundles want more recent versions of
> tm_dialog, ruby and whatnot) and since svn is chinese to me, I'm clueless :(

Subversion is really simple when you get to know it.

But first you have to install it on your computer. Go to [1] to download
 a package which installs it. After the download double-click on the
.dmg file and then double-click on the installer in it. Then just follow
the steps to install subversion.

[1]: http://www.open.collab.net/servlets/OCNDownload?id=CSVNMACC

To use subversion with TextMate you have to open the Terminal (in
Applications/Utilities).
First you have to tell the Terminal to find subversion. To do this type
the following in an open Terminal window and press enter.

echo 'PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"' >> ~/.bash_profile

Then close the Terminal window an open another one (Command + N), this
is necessary so the Terminal knows this new setting.

Then type the following and press enter to create the directory where
the subversion data for TextMate should be stored and fill it with the
current data from subversion. (This should all be on one line!)

svn co http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk/ /Library/Application\
Support/TextMate

This will take a while since it downloads all the Bundle data from the
macromates.com server. You need an internet connection for this of course.

After his you have a working subversion installation with the newest
TextMate Bundles and such stuff. Congratulations ;-)

If you want to update the subversion installation then just type the
following:

svn up /Library/Application\ Support/TextMate

To let TextMate know these changes you have to quit and restart it.

Hope this helps,
Simon
- --
+ privacy is necessary