[TxMt] "Save As" Renaming Bug - any hope for the future?

Chip Cullen chip.cullen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 13:42:55 UTC 2007

I have been running into a problem with Textmate that for me, anyway,
is a major hurdle. When I'm editing an HTML document, and I'm using
Textmate's project drawer, I often want to use the open document as a
basis for other documents. I go to "Save As..." and name the file, and
hit enter. In almost every other Mac OS X program that I know, that
command simply creates a new document with the old document as the
starting point.

However, with Textmate's project drawer, the old file has essentially
been renamed by the new one. I have to go back and re-add the old file
to have it show up in the Project drawer again.

I have searched the archives of the Textmate list, and one other
person has mentioned it - about a year ago. Some of the suggestions
included hiding the program and bringing it back, re-booting the
program, hiding the drawer - nothing works at all for me. I can't even
drag the old files form the finder, I have to go to FIle>Add.

So my question is: is there any hope for this bug to be resolved? Are
there any other fixes that I may not be aware of? I dunno - I would
think this would be a rather glaring problem that more people would be
clamoring to have fixed. I'm not a hardcore coder or anything - just
someone who writes his own HTML. It just seems sort of... well,
primary.

I do appreciate the power that Textmate has, and I can understand how
useful it can be to people's workflows. But every time I try to "get
into" it, something basic like this comes up as a roadblock and puts
me off from wanting to use it. (See my old discussion about the Open
Document in Running Browser command, which sadly still does absolutely
nothing) I want to love Textmate, I really do. Just any help at all
would be appreciated.

BTW: I'm on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.4.9 and using Textmate build 1.5.5/1368