[TxMt] Automated tests for language grammar rules?

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Apr 19 22:31:25 UTC 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Daryl Spitzer wrote:

> What do you think of my proposal for specifying the tests within the
> language grammar rules or patterns?

I have to say I think that would make the language grammars seem too
complicated, they are pretty complicated as it is.

But as I see it there are two different kinds of tests here.
1) very local tests. Those would perhaps fit in the language grammar
rules. Their purpose is basically to say: "this regexp should be
matching these cases". So these are I would say "pure regexp" tests.
2) more global tests. They would test whether a file as a whole is
split up into the appropriate components. In other words, they would
be testing to what extend the rules (which mind you might be coming
from 3-4 different grammars) are tied together the right way. Those
tests should probably be specifying that for instance "these lines
should be matched as 'quote' ", "these should be matched as
'embedded'" and so on. So they should be slightly not too specific.

Just thinking out loud...

> --
> Daryl

Haris Skiadas