[TxMt] Re: text overlay

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 18 00:41:02 UTC 2007

Bob Henkel wrote:
> It would be handy if there was a overlay feature in textmate much like you
> get in photo editing software. What would be really nice if there were X
> layers and if you could choose to name each layer and hide and show a
> layer.

This sounds about 10x more complex than 99% of people need.  How about
you just create a few themes which "show" or "hide" layers (scopes) by
changing their colors to be more or less visible?

> Also if each layer had a transparency setting it would be nice so you could
> have 10 layers that combined would appear to be almost one document.  Maybe
> you could combine 10 peoples comments on your file.

Really not sure what you're getting at...

> My second wish list item is meta data for a text file. That is I could tag
> line 1 as having meta data of "this line is great". If a user adds more
> text
> to the document and line 1 is pushed down to line 10 that meta data should
> stay with the original data it was tagged on.

Why not just use a plain text format which has some support for such
metadata?  For instance, most programming languages allow "comments".

-Jacob