[TxMt] Re: Re: Insert hard wraps

Robin Houston robin.houston at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:28:29 UTC 2007

On 4/16/07, Steve King <steve at narbat.com> wrote:

> I'm mostly concerned about the disk I/O needed to load up the command
> interpreter, plus the CPU time for the interpreter to initialize itself.

Yeah, that makes a massive difference. After I sent the message you quote, I
tried timing vfork()+execve(), and it's more than 100x slower than vfork()
alone. Not really surprising. I still think the staggering efficiency of
Unix vfork() is one of the wonders of the computing world, but maybe that's
not altogether relevant. :-)

All the same, you don't know it's going to be too slow until you've tried it
and it is.

It seems to me that spawning a new process for (on average) one out of six
> keystrokes is excessive.  Just sayin'. :-)

Excessive ... in a good way? :-)

Robin