[TxMt] Re: I must be missing something obvious

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sat Apr 14 01:45:40 UTC 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 8:23 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> Paul Welty wrote:
>> So my cursor (|) ends up like this
>> blah['|']
>> I guess it's trying to help me. So, I type 'name' and my cursor is
>> now like this
>> blah['name|']
>> So, now what do I do???
>> I want keep typing. I want to get outside the ']', not inside it.
>> But, I can't figure out how. Right now, I just hit right arrow
>> twice. But, this is such a pain, it can't be right. What am I
>> missing?
>
> What is wrong with just typing the closing characters, again?

Sometimes the closing characters have stopped being "smart", i.e.
often I just want to get out of "whatever I am in".
It's just useful to have a way to get out of the closest set of
"closing things".
Of course I am thinking of LaTeX, where the closing thing is always a
"}". Perhaps it's not easy to decide in general.

> The point of smart typing pairs is more to keep your parentheses
> (or whatever) properly nested, than it is to save keystrokes.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College