[TxMt] LaTeX with TL2007

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:03:16 UTC 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Hi Haris
>
> Le 12 avr. 07 à 14:46, Charilaos Skiadas a écrit :
>
>> Not having installed TL2007 I can't really confirm it, but if you
>> install via the MacTeX packages there should definitely not be a
>> problem. If you install in some other way,
>
> Yes i want the same way i used for ubuntu
>
>> you would have to set a symbolic link from /usr/texbin to wherever
>> the TL2007 executables are (in particular, the executable kpsewhich).
>
> Why i need /usr/texbin ? My only problem is how TextMate detects
> the TeX distrib ?

TextMate first and foremost asks the shell directly for "which
kpsewhich". If that fails, then it looks at a couple of hard-coded
paths, namely:

/usr/texbin/
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-darwin
/opt/local/bin/

Finally, it sources /etc/profile and then tries "which kpsewhich"
again. This last one should work as long as the shell is configured
to use this new distribution.

Let me try to understand your situation. Is this TeXLive distro the
only one you will be using in this computer, or do you want to be
able to go back and forth between than and MacTeX (tetex)? Because if
it is the only one, then I see no reason why you wouldn't want to
just set a symbolic link from /usr/texbin to it. That is probably the
simplest solution I think.

On the other hand, if you already have a MacTeX distribution and this
TeXLive distribution, and want to only use the TeXLive one for some
files, then it gets more complicated, but let's sort it out only
after we are sure this is your problem. Probably what we would have
to do in that case is add a variable that would allow you to hard-
code a distribution path to be used, probably called TM_LATEX_TEXPATH
or some such.

> With TeXlive without MacTeX, i think that kpsewhich and the other
> bin are  in
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/powerpc-darwin/
>
> Greetings Alain Matthes

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College