[TxMt] Re: Announcing LaTeX Watch 2.0, with PDF support

Robin Houston robin.houston at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 22:04:26 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Piero D'Ancona <pierodancona at gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, LaTeX Watch is brilliant! so please keep
> on working on it. BTW, the trick of precompiling
> and dumping the format should be made standard
> in all tex apps, it's simply to good an idea.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Would you mind writing down here a concise list
> of all the shell variables relevant to
> L.Watch, and their meaning? I'm a bit confused

I don't blame you. I'm a bit confused as well. :-)

This is still rather in flux, and it would be nice to have
it controlled by the same variables that control the
'Typeset & View' command. I've been mulling this
over, and I have come up with what seems to me to
be a reasonable scheme. I'll post about it tomorrow,
and see if I can persuade Haris to accept a patch
to Typeset & View that rationalises its configuration.

To answer your question, if you have version 2.1
(http://www.puffinry.demon.co.uk/LaTeX%20Watch%202.1.dmg)
then the variables it recognises are:

TM_LATEX_PROGRAM:
If this is set to 'latex', then a DVI compilation is used,
rather than going directly to PDF. The default is assumed
to be 'pdflatex'.

In future, I expect that other options will be supported,
such as xelatex.

TM_LATEX_VIEWER:
Currently only affects the default, pdflatex, mode.
Supported values are 'TeXShop' (the default),
'TeXniscope' and 'PDFView'.

In 'latex' mode, it will currently always try to use gv.

TM_LATEX_WATCH_DEBUG:
Set to 'console' to print debugging messages to the console,
or to 'dialog' to pop them up in a dialog box.

Quite a short list really! I hope it's useful. Any questions,
let me know.

Robin