[TxMt] Alt-up/down ... and some other navigation stuff

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Thu Apr 5 13:36:45 UTC 2007

Is there any more in-depth explanation anywhere about what alt-up/
down really does? I understand there's some sort of columnar
behavior, but when I use it in prose text, it seems to behave in a
rather baffling manner to me... I've been looking for an equivalent
to the (IMO very useful) ctrl-up/down functionality in Emacs (next
paragraph, or, rather, next empty line, basically) and thought
perhaps this might work somewhat like that -- and it seems to, if I
move to the beginning of the line first. (OK, so the "next paragraph"
functionality is a question of its own, I guess; is there something
like it?)

And while I'm on the topic of navigation (and things I miss from
Emacs ;-) -- if I accidentally press cmd-up or down, I completely
lose my current location. Any way of "undoing" something like that?
(In Emacs I used alt-x x or something like that, to switch position
with the position before the navigation.) It's not always that I
remember to set a bookmark before this sort of thing -- mainly
because it tends to be accidental :->

--
Magnus Lie Hetland
http://hetland.org