[TxMt] Web Preview Displaying Em Sized Text Too Small

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Wed Apr 4 03:02:38 UTC 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 8:53 PM, Brooks Seymore wrote:

> Does the Show Web Preview command in Textmate 1.5.5 (Build 1372)
> have a problem displaying text sized in ems? For some reason, text
> set in a style sheet at 0.8 ems doesn't display at the same size as
> when the page is viewed in the latest versions of Safari, Firefox,
> Camino and OmniWeb.
>
> On a possibly related note: does TextMate use Webkit for Web
> Preview and, if so, is it possible to have TextMate use a nightly
> WebKit build instead of the version Safari is based on?
>
> I've searched the archives and couldn't locate any other
> discussions about this.
>
> Brooks

This has bothered me for some time now. thank for mentioning it.
I think it has to do with the default properties set on the webkit
view itself.

The standard default text size for all web browsers is 16px.
Way back when, all mac web browsers chose to use something like 12px
as the default instead.
That problem was finally fixed in Mac OS X and every browser shipped
in the last decade,
except the web view in TextMate.

Allan, could you possibly reset the defaults to whatever the standard
Safari settings are?
This might require changing some of the html outputting commands that
rely on the smaller default text size, but I think consistency is
very important if we're going to enable designery features.

Thanks

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors