[TxMt] subversion usage through NFS

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Tue Apr 3 12:43:38 UTC 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Jon Hancock wrote:

> I have an NFS share from my linux server and mount this on my Mac.
> This NFS share is an svn working copy and its repo is local to the
> same server.  So the svn url is file:///path_to_repo/trunk.
> If I try to use the subversion bundle in TextMate, it tries to use
> direct file access to the repo instead of svn+ssh access.  Is there
> a way I can let TextMate know to use svn+ssh for this working copy?

The working copy itself remembers the URL that was used to check it
out, so if it was checked out local on the machine, then mounted via
NFS, it will always try to interact with the repository using
`file:`. Check for yourself by going into one of the working copy's
directories and

     grep url .svn/entries

What you'll have to do is make sure you can SSH from the linux server
back to itself (assuming you want to still be able to use the same
working copy on the server), then remove or relocate the current
working copy and check out a new one via `svn+ssh:`. Whether you
check it out from the remote machine or from your Mac with it mounted
via NFS shouldn't matter at that point.

You should also make sure that Subversion can correctly manipulate
the working copy via NFS. I know that it doesn't work with Samba or
SSHFS.

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.