Local test environment (was: [TxMt] Re: SVN?)

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Mon Apr 2 15:32:11 UTC 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Rob McBroom wrote:
> As for making changes on "the server" being a bad idea, we don't
> make changes on *the* server. We make changes on *a* server. The
> development server, to be specific. Nothing wrong with that in my
> opinion.
>
> ---
> Rob McBroom

I have worked like that in the past.
http://subtlegradient.com/articles/2007/03/30/web-development-
environment-and-workflow

There is nothing wrong with having an environment that requires
uploading files to a dev/test server before you can test them.
Other than being really tedious and annoying that is ;)

Hopefully TextMate 2.0 will allow for plugins and bundle commands
that can make integrating FTP/SCP a lot easier.

I've written a command that helps me formulate good SCP commands.
I then check them over and execute them manually from the terminal.
You can never be too careful with your production server :D

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors