[TxMt] The file association war

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Wed Sep 20 03:09:48 UTC 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> So you really should only have to do this only once for every file
> type.

"Every file type" is the problem. RCDefaultApp reports that there are
about *50* different extensions associated with BBEdit and XCode. I
don't want to go through and manually change every one of those
mappings. And what happens if I install yet another editor or, say, a
new version of BBEdit? I'll have to go back and change all those
associations *again*. Surely there's an easier way? I guess I could
always resort to writing some AppleScript, assuming that would work...

I suppose I'm also asking the broader question of why apps like
TextMate/BBEdit/etc. have to associate themselves with anything to
begin with. For example, when I install two C++ editors, they fight
for the .cc association, and I guess whichever one is installed last
wins. Seems like a rather weak way of managing file associations.

Trevor