[TxMt] Switching to TextMate is slow

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Wed Sep 13 15:43:56 UTC 2006

Hi Colm,

> I'm running build 1215 on a MacBook and whenever I switch application
> into TextMate it takes a few seconds before the application becomes
> active.  For those few seconds the application is just frozen
> (although it buffers keypresses and executes them when it becomes
> active).
>
> This is very annoying :)  Anyone able to help?

This comes up fairly often on this list and the usual culprits are:

1) You are most likely working in "project mode", for lack of a
better word. Which is to say that you've either dragged a folder onto
TextMate, or using an actual TextMate project file. The litmus test
on wether or not you are in "project mode" (that's not an official
"mode" btw) is wether or not you can open/view a drawer w/ your
documents in it; and

2) You are most likely working on files over some type of network
share (AFP or Samba, perhaps).

It's a known issue and I believe Allan is working on a fix (there is
no ETA on that, however). The freeze you're seeing happens because
TextMate rescans all of the documents when it gains focus to see if
another app has changed any of them. This way you won't trampling
over a change that you might have done elsewhere.

One thing you can do is make sure to work on local files everytime
you're dealing with large projects (svn/cvs is your friend). The
delay that results from rescanning all of the files in the project
will most likely not be all that noticeable when you do.

-steve