[TxMt] Abysmal typing speed problems with LaTeX and spellchecking

Christian Bogen christian.bogen at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 11 14:58:56 UTC 2006

Am 11.09.2006 um 16:37 schrieb Allan Odgaard:

> Only the obvious things like hard wrapping lines to keep down the
> length etc.

... which isn't "very convenient" to say the least, especially since
TM doesn't seem to have a build-in hard wrap option (unless I'm
missing something). Also I find hard wrapping generally uncomfortable
and undesirable for texts which are (re)edited many times.

> Basically all other text editing applications use NSTextView, which
> doesn’t run the text through the spell checker as often as
> TextMate, likely because they knew the performance of said checker
> couldn’t handle that on older hardware ;)

Sadly right now it looks like I won't be able afford a new Mac for at
least another year or so ... :(

> I haven’t decided yet if I want to address this issue, as it
> shouldn’t be a problem on current hardware, and being lazy about
> when to spell check what is a lot of messy code, and on that note,
> NSTextView didn’t get it right (last I checked), i.e. it can
> occasionally end with a word shown as misspelled or spelled
> correctly, even though it is the opposite.

Well, if you could make this an item on your agenda, I'd be very
thankful for sure.

I'd rather take the "normal" miss-checks the standard NSTextView
sometimes produces than the severe speed problem I'm experiencing
right now! (And, believe me, severe basically means unusable with
spell checking ...)

Thanks in advance!

Christian