[TxMt] How to freeze your TextMate

Bill Bumgarner bbum at mac.com
Mon Oct 30 23:13:42 UTC 2006

> On Oct 30, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Nicolas Schmidt wrote:
>> So what do you suggest? I remove the ability for you to run shell
>> commands (and scripts) from TextMate?
>
> I just checked Xcode's behaviour regarding this "feature". Instead
> of waiting until termination and then pasting the output in the
> current window, it pastes program output instantaneously. I think
> this is favourable over TM's behaviour (and the fact that it doesn't
> crash).

Sure... though not throttling tons of output when that situation
occurs is still a potentially catastrophic failure.  TextMate's text
window simply isn't going to deal with 20MB/sec of text being pushed
into it.

Now, one might argue that a tail -f feature would be cool.  However,
this is pretty far afield of "editing a buffer of text", which seems
to be TextMate's core charter.

Interestingly, the TermMate bundle may have the solution under the
assumption that iTerm.framework actually does terminal like things
such as dealing with the output of tail -f, efficiently rendering a
buffer full o' text where the size of the text may be 10s or 100s of
MB, and automatically throwing away all lines prior to the last, say,
10,000 (buffer limit).

TM, itself, should likely solve the problem thusly:

- launch the process and start emitting output into buffer as it is
produced

- start buffer-n-spew mode after ##K worth of output

- suspend the inferior and bring up a "continue/continue-for-1MB-more/
quit" after, say, a megabyte of output produced

That would solve the problem without trying to turn the TextMate
editing environment into a log monitor.

b.bum