[TxMt] TextMate takes over X11 app file associations

Scott Granneman scott at granneman.com
Fri Oct 27 23:00:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 3:31 pm, Daniel Käsmayr wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I guess what happens is  that you would need to select one of those
> files (probably with a .sh file extension) in the finder, press apple-
> I (get info) and change its associated applications to X11.app…

As I said in my previous email, "If I Get Info, I cannot change the file
association back to X11 due to permissions."

The files don't end with a .sh extension, as they are not shell scripts. They
are the actual executables installed by Darwinports. Here's the output of the
file command:

$ file /opt/local/bin/kmail
/opt/local/bin/kmail: Mach-0 excecutable i386

Therefore, there is no extension I can select for using 3rd party tools that
allow me to change file associations based on file types.

When I try to use Apple-I, after 4 screens, I am finally told that I can't
change the files, as I don't have permission to do so. They are, after all,
owned as follows:

$ ls -l /opt/local/bin/kmail
-rwxr-wr-x 2 root admin [snip] /opt/local/bin/kmail

So, since I can't use Apple-I, I now have 2 questions:

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Short of removing TextMate (which I have done, but I can, of course,
reinstall it), is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
scott at granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
      ---Pablo Picasso