[TxMt] help me get started with textmate doing rails development

Niels Kobschätzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 27 17:43:30 UTC 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 7:28 PM, Kelly Felkins wrote:

> Steve
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On Oct 27, 2006, at 10:08 AM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I'm trying textmate. How best to be introduced to this editor? Is
>>> there a tutorial anywhere -- especially a rails specific one?
>>
>> I don't intend to sound condescending, but you should try to at
>> least look over the manual. Some sections that will be immediately
>> helpful are:
>>

> I've spent some time in the manual. I hope you didn't write it. I
> find it difficult for a beginner to comprehend, namely me. I think
> I need something *before* I get into that manual -- something that
> steps me through some common operations. Also, I don't think the
> manual discusses details introduced by bundles, and I think that
> may be important. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I will
> definitely take another look at the sections you list below.

Most Bundles I'm using have either commands with names that speak for
themself (if you know what you are doing in the "language" you are
using) and/or have a help embedded

>>   * Working with Text [1]
>>   * Bundles [2]
>>
>> The screencasts are real helpful too.
>> http://macromates.com/screencasts
>>
>>> etc. What key sequences are doing this expansion?
>>
>> The Tab key.
>
> I must be missing something here. When I type tab, it appears to
> insert a tab. This makes sense to me when I am editing a general
> text file. But this is also the behavior when I create a file named
> Summer.rb in a rails models folder.

you need to start the text of the snippet first -- after that you can
"tab"
e.g.: HTML-Bundle: type in a window which is set to html-mode
"'mailto' tab" and you get a complete mailto-link…

Niels