[TxMt] bug in smarty module

Rick Gigger rick at alpinenetworking.com
Fri Oct 27 05:11:52 UTC 2006

Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 27. Oct 2006, at 00:22, Rick Gigger wrote:
>
>>> [...]
>>> Then change that last disabled to ‘= 0’ or remove it.
>> Thanks!  That worked great!  Is there any reason it's disabled by
>> default?  Any plans to make that sort of thing more user friendly in
>> the future?
>
> Yes, having { start embedding of smarty code gives a hell of a lot false
> positives for people who e.g. have code listings in their HTML.
>
> As for the future: with scope injection this will just be
> installing/enabling the Smarty bundle, and then it will magically work
> all the places where HTML is allowed -- though with some new attributes
> in the scope, it will be possible to limit it to only HTML files with a
> given extension, for certain projects, etc.
>
> That said, changing ‘disabled = 0;’ to ‘disabled = 1;’ is not exactly
> rocket science, just requires to RTFM ;)

No, actually doing it was not rocket science at all.  Figuring out that
that was what needed to be done, well that's another matter.

I hope this doesn't at all sound like complaining but rather trying to
give my perspective on this.  Maybe I'm just slow but...

Figuring out what to do required me to make the following leaps:

1) The Smarty module was not enabled when in HTML mode.  This was not
intuitive to me because if I understand correctly the PHP is also just
another language embedded in HTML but "just works" without any fiddling.

2) That simply viewing things as Smarty files doesn't work because it
needs to start off in HTML mode.

3) How exactly to enable it.

It all makes sense now but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how
to get it to work before.

I'm looking at the manual located at:
http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
and I'm not really seeing where any of that is located.  I haven't read
the whole thing but I also don't see a search feature anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, the only frustrating thing about Textmate is that it
has progressed so quickly and has so many features that it has not been
possible (as far as I can tell) for the docs to keep up.  Or maybe I
just haven't figured out how to quickly find things in the docs or maybe
there are more complete or up to date docs somewhere.  But I have had a
lot of trouble just trying to RTFM and find the answers to my questions.

Not that it really matters though since the mailing list is so responsive.

Thanks!