[TxMt] more language grammar woe

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Mon Oct 9 16:58:01 UTC 2006

On 9. Oct 2006, at 17:43, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> [...] I don't know what Allan has planned for 2.0, but it would
> definitely be nice to have an indicator that the Test button hasn't
> been pressed, even though the language has changed, and hence what
> you see as a language grammar is not what TM is using. For all
> other bundle items, the moment the bundle editor closes their
> changes are registered, but not so for languages, and there is no
> visual indicator that something is amiss.

Closing the bundle editor should “apply” the changes for the language
grammar.

The reason there is an explicit test button is that, as some language
grammar hackers will know, it is possible to create infinite (zero-
width matching) cycles in the language grammar, which will make
TextMate’s parser freeze (when using that grammar) -- so “live”
editing of grammars is currently a bad idea (since an intermediate
state could trigger the problem). The parser used for 2.0 will not
have this problem, and so there is no real need to not apply the
changes immediately.