[TxMt] language grammars

sam aaron sam.maillists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 9 16:39:20 UTC 2006

> This is not how the parser works. When one rule has matched a portion
> of the text, no other rules can match that text.

ok, so only one scope can be applied to each character of the document?

>but it appears to me that
>what you want is for the different rules to overlap, i.e. match the
>same characters in the document.

yes, for some reason i thought that this was possible. For example,
consider the following line:

* this is part of a list _here i want italics_

I thought it was possible to have the characters between the
underscores to belong to an 'italic scope' and also a 'list item
scope'.  I guess you kind of achieve this by naming the italics scope
as an extention of the list scope: list.italics or is it recommended
to just use an italics scope, losing its relationship with the list?

My next question (which I think I already know the answer to), so if I
want to have the equivalent of an underscore italics rule, i have to
declare it as an internal pattern to all the patterns I want itallic
behaviour inside? I guess this is where you'd use the grammar
repository?

Sorry for the potentially obvious questions.

Thanks,
Sam