[TxMt] curly quotes [was Re: Latex: How to use new "`"' ?]

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:18:17 UTC 2006

Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
>
>> Hi Allan-
>>
>> Would it be possible for someone to post a version of that for us
>> newbies? (For what it's worth -- it *is* the default in emacs' tex
>> modes...)
>>
> Allan already did post his version in one of his last messages, and I've
> attached my version as a command (I already posted instructions on
> creating the commands yourself in my previous post, except for
> forgetting to put two backslashes before the two backticks).
>
> The two versions are behaving slightly differently probably, so you can
> take your pick.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Haris

Aha, sorry, I completely missed the point of this thread, since I've
actually never once used `" in tex...

But actually what I want is in fact the emacs default (nothing to do
with euro-quotes; sorry!):

I want the ' and " keys to give opening ` and `` or closing ' and ''
when appropriate (emacs does seem to be nearly infallible). this is not
quite the same as the current ^`.

I know, TM isn't emacs (it's better in so many ways!) but I am so used
to this behavior that I never even remember to think about my quoting...

I suppose a more TM-ish version would insert the full ``|'' with the
caret in the middle (and would then ideally skip over the closing /pair/
on a second "; I expect this latter bit is hard).

Yours,

Andrew