[TxMt] persisting and communicating with an external process over a period of time

sam aaron sam.maillists at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 6 14:48:50 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I was wondering whether it was possible for a textmate bundle to
launch an external process, and then when triggered, could send some
text to the process (for example, using standard streams) and then do
something with the information that the process spits out.

Now I know you can do this whole workflow for each command, i.e. you
could read the current line, pass it as parameters to a command, and
then replace the line with the output of the program.

What I want to do is to have the process persist over command
triggers. i.e. One trigger might start the process, another might feed
it information and do something with the response (this command may be
called multiple times, and each time it would communicate with the
same process, rather than create a new process), and a final trigger
might end the process.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks,
Sam Aaron