[TxMt] ctrl+esc debug

Fred B fredb7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 04:56:01 UTC 2006

On 10/6/06, Allan Odgaard <throw-away-1 at macromates.com> wrote:

> Another user who has the problem (on one of his machines) tried this
> program [1] and it did not report a key stroke on ⌃⎋.
>
> [1] http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?thema=keycodes&sprache=english

Same here. Beside ⌃⎋, every keys seem to work except some used by the
system (like ^F1 ^F7 ^F8 ⌘⌥⎋).
So, there is a lower level than what Key Code can see...

> > [...] Key binding is a mysterious science. ;)
>
> Indeed -- many keys are "lost" when dealing with normal first
> responder stuff in Cocoa, for that reason bundle items have the
> sendEvent: method of the application object overloaded (so that
> "all" keys are available) -- this is AFAIK the most low-level you
> can get with Cocoa and key events, so if bundle items can't bind
> to ⌃⎋, then there is really not much to do about the issue.

See previous remark. Either there is a bug somewhere in the system or
something steel the keystroke at an absolutely ultra deep level (OMG,
a Balrog! ;)

> We should maybe make a poll for hardware/OS to see if we can find a
> pattern. So far I'm aware of 3 users (including you) which have the
> problem, one of them only on his PowerBook.

Same thing on my iMac G5 1.8Ghz (10.4.8) and my Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz
(10.4.5! I don't use it much for now). The PowerBook had an older TM
release version (pre 1200, I should have noted it before upgrading).
Not sure it is hardware related as the PB is a (partial) clone of the
iMac at the start and has the problem...

I'll install TM and test on my old G4 400 10.4.8 and my G4 Dual 1.42
(10.3.9) soon.

Thanks for your time.

--
FredB