[TxMt] Re: Latex tables and Excel

William Yang weijiay at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 18:15:17 UTC 2006

Daniel Käsmayr wrote:
> Will,
>
> an interesting question I was thinking about last night as well. I
> haven't tested this, but exporting as csv (comma separated or any other
> symbol is posssible, I believe) opens up all kinds of possibilities with
> TextMate's regex search…?
>
> btw and very OT: … is there any alternative to excel on the mac? a) for
> calculating and b) for plotting?
>
> Dan

I was hoping for something simpler since I work with small
tables...something like copy table into Textmate, click convert, and
boom, Latex table.  I modified the existing Convert Table script to work
with Excel and it works for my needs, but probably misses many corner
cases.  If anyone has a better solution please post. Thanks

Will

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$line=<>;
$count=0;
$line=~s/^\s+//;
while ($line=~s/(\w)\t+(\w)/$1 & $2/) { $count++; }
$line=~s/\n/\\\\\n/;
$greeting="\\table[ht]\n";
$greeting.="\t\\centering\n";
$greeting.="\t\\begin{tabular}{";
for (0..$count) { $greeting.="c"; }
$greeting.="}\n";
print $greeting;
$hline="\t\\hline\n";
print $hline."\t".$line.$hline;
while ($line=<>) {
     $line=~s/^\s+//;
     $line=~s/\t+/ & /g;
     $line=~s/\n/\\\\\n/;
     print "\t$line";
}
print "\\\\\n".$hline."\t\\end{tabular}\n";
print "\t\\caption{Table Caption}\n";
print "\t\\label{Table Label}\n";
print "\\end{table}\n";