[TxMt] Re: escaping characters (in the document)

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Thu Nov 30 16:04:49 UTC 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 6:39 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> Why do you want to type control codes directly? It's a lot safer to
> use escape sequences.
>
> Bash even has a string quote form $'string', which supports
> escapes, and an escape \cx which stands for the control-x
> character. This means you can represent the ^[ character as $'\c['.

Good to know, but I don't use `bash` and in any case, I can't assume
that `bash` will always be the thing that's interpreting a file.

On Nov 29, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> Did you try showing invisibles?  I believe these show up as
> different from spaces or tabs, but I don't remember exactly what
> they look like.

Yes, I did. It shows the same diamond you would see for a regular
space. I'll probably set up a dummy account and mess with some of
these obscure settings when I get a chance. Should I share what I
discover, or does no one care? :)

> In any case, you should be able to copy/paste them into a textmate
> control from another window, or make a command to insert them,
> something that takes the previous letter ("[" for instance), and
> turns it into the control sequence ("⌃[").

Well, I can actually type these things into most Textmate controls
using the ⌃Q trick. For example, create a file with the string
"foobar" in it somewhere, bring up the Find dialogue and type
"foo⌃Q⎋bar" and search. You won't see the escape, but it is there
because the strings won't match. It's typing in the document window
itself that I'm wondering about.

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>
I didn't "switch" to Apple... my OS did.