[TxMt] Small Summary File for each Bundle

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu Nov 30 11:00:14 UTC 2006

Dear all,

everyone knows that the number of available bundles for TM increases
steadily ;)

In the blog 'Getting More Bundles'

http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2006/08/21/getting-more-bundles/

you can read about the marvelous 'GetBundle' bundle written by
Sebastian Gräßl

and Brian mentioned:

"... What would make this even sweeter is a small summary of what
that bundle does before we download it!"

I believe the easiest way to add such a small summary would be to
include in each bundle root path a structured plain text or html
file, maybe called 'summary' or whatever.
Then it would be possible to read this file (or only a part of it if
it also includes information about author/date/...) and add this to
the GetBundle bundle dialog by using tm_dialog and a nib.

On the other hand this summary file could also be used for searching
a bundle if it contains significant keywords. It is often the case
that I need a function and I cannot find any for my purpose, so I
start to write my own code. And then after spending much time on it,
it turns out that there is already such a similar function. And I
dislike to invent the wheel twice ;)

Furthermore if I go to .../trunk/Bundles it would be possible to add
a link to a 'summary' page which is generated automatically by taking
and formatting all available summary files of each listed bundles to
get an overview of these.

Or similar e.g. to the R-project sites à la http://cran.xedio.de/src/
contrib/PACKAGES.html

Are there any comments on it?

BTW It would also be nice to have meaningful screenshot(s) for each
TM theme available at ../trunk/Themes ;)

Cheers,

Hans